Apology as of 01/12/2009

The management of this blog wishes to apologize for the lengthy hiatus that we seem to have taken. It wasn't intentional. It just kind of happened. We are working on getting some new posts up. There are many things that have been discovered in the past months that definitely made life worth living. Bear with us until we can get back on some kind of schedule.

Thanks for your understanding and patience,

The Mgmnt.



Monday, March 31, 2008

Henry's Bar

Location:
54 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401

Type:
Bar

Experience:
After leaving Club Habana, I wasn't ready to call it a night yet. So I went down Market Street, trying to find another bar to spend some time and money at.

Eventually, I came across this bar called Henry's. There were a few guys out front and I stopped and asked them if the bar was any good. We had a short conversation about how I defined a "good" bar and I explained about my downer of a bachelor party. They then told me to come in and have a drink with them. After a little bit more conversation, they just put me on their tab and I wound up not having to pay for my drinks.

This place is a pretty run of the mill bar from the looks of things. I think there was a juke box on one wall, some booths on another. Not a whole lot to set this place apart from other bars. But the bartenders were really nice and it is PACKED on a Saturday night. Had it not been for my new-found friends, I would never have been able to actually get at the bar for a drink.

And the diversity of the people in the bar was also just a strange mix of everyone. There were a lot of college girls and guys hanging out, but there were also a lot of older professional looking types around the place. The fact that this diversity was present definitely adds to this places charm. As I had been told before entering, "Henry's is the place where everyone in Charleston eventually winds up." I guess this is true. It does seem like a catch-all type bar. Eventually my new friends ordered shots for every girl in the bar (and all the bartenders) and that really started a party going. 'Cause really, who doesn't like free shots?

I went back the next night, and admittedly, on a Sunday, there wasn't a very big crowd. But the bartenders were still really friendly and I found out that drinks were not too bad on the price front. They are on par with every other bar. Without the huge crowd hindering my view I realized the place is a lot  bigger than I had thought the night before. And for having such a large crowd in there the night before, the place was really clean, even the bathrooms, and that kind of gave me a good feeling. The bar is well run and well maintained. So really, how can you go wrong with that?

Overall:
My point of view for Henry's may be a little biased due to having a couple of guys make my night rock, but that is not going to stop me from letting it happen. This bar really isn't special except for how popular it seems. And boy is it ever popular. Bars with a large following can be a lot of fun if you are the mood, and if you are in the mood for a big crowd, I could safely recommend Henry's to you. Although if you stay until last call and are in need of a cab ride home, you are unfortunately S.O.L. but that isn't the bar's fault and I will address that in my general review of the city of Charleston. So look for that soon. Until then... 
3 Carats

No comments: