Apology as of 01/12/2009

The management of this blog wishes to apologize for the lengthy hiatus that we seem to have taken. It wasn't intentional. It just kind of happened. We are working on getting some new posts up. There are many things that have been discovered in the past months that definitely made life worth living. Bear with us until we can get back on some kind of schedule.

Thanks for your understanding and patience,

The Mgmnt.



Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pinnacle Vodka

So over the weekend I was helping some friends move and after the second day of moving furniture into a house that I think was designed as a practical joke to prevent people from being able to put furniture into their own home, we were all pretty wiped out. So we decided that we should drink our muscle aches away.

Normally I stick with beer, occasionally venturing into the realm of whiskeys or VERY occasionally (usually when out at a bar or club) go with a gin and tonic. I don't really like mixed drinks all that much and instead stick with drinks that I can either enjoy on the rocks or (as I would rather) "neat". I would go out on a limb and say that most of the liquor (75% or more) that I drink, is at room temperature with no mixer. Call me crazy. But as I said before, normally I stick with beer. 

Well as our muscles started to stop hating us so much, and deciding that we were all staying the night, a bottle of Smirnoff was brought out from its hiding spot (I suspect the freezer). After a good many shots, I started to try to remember why I was opposed to vodka. I couldn't really come up with a logical reason, but that most likely was due to the excess of alcohol that I had consumed. 

So I forgot all about my drunken Saturday night until Monday on my way home from work. Remembering that I was out of bourbon once again I decided to stop off at the liquor store and restock. But as I entered the store, I remembered the vodka and decided that it might be nice for a change of pace and quickly wound up on the vodka aisle. And being the cheap skate that I am wound up on the cheap end of said vodka aisle. I found a blueish bottle with the name "Pinnacle" on it. Seeing that the price was $12 for a 750ml bottle (only slightly more than my friend Evan), I figured "what the hell" and bought it.

Upon opening it and pouring myself a room temperature shot, I was REALLY surprised. I was pretty much expecting what I had paid for and that being gasoline disguised as alcohol. What I had instead was a crisp, clean flavor that didn't leave my throat feeling like I had swallowed glass. It has a taste to me almost like the pure taste of distilled drinking water, only vodka. 

Actually reading the bottle, this stuff boasts claims of being made from spring water from the Champagne region of France and being handcrafted in small batches. I don't know if any of that is true, but I wouldn't be surprised. This stuff is good. It doesn't have the burning sensation I normally attribute to vodka. I didn't bother putting it in the freezer or mixing it into a mixed drink. I literally poured myself a few fingers in a glass and sipped on it for the few hours I was on the computer. I also found that it doesn't have much of an aftertaste. It tastes like crisp vodka for a second and then is gone. 

As for the morning after, I felt great. No hangover. Granted, I only had between 4 and 6 shots over four hours, but still, I felt great this morning. 

Rating Criteria:
What it's meant for: Drinking to feel warm, loving or able to put up with in-laws and newborns.

Achievement of said goals: 9.5/10
Again, since this is liquor, I have a sliding scale. I am rating this really highly because although I bought it for the alcohol, I discovered it was pleasant to drink as well. It doesn't get a 10 because it is still vodka and however good it is, it is still vodka. But it is cheap and tastes great. Better, in fact, than most of the "premium" vodkas that I make fun of people for liking.

Learning Curve: 9/10
I think it would take a person who really hated themselves and decided to attack their liver to make this stuff make a mess of your evening. And the feeling that I woke up feeling like I spent the previous day sober, leaves me saying this is magical. It is a potion given to me by the gods of alcohol I am sure.

Enjoyability: 10/10
It tastes great. Doesn't leave me throwing up either during the night or the next morning. It leaves my wallet with that nice full feeling and I haven't tested this out, but I am sure it would be a hit at a party. I can't really find fault... other than the fact that it is vodka, but I am overlooking that.

Overall: Better than being forced to sit and watch a Golden Girls marathon A Clockwork Orange style but not as good as dressing in your favorite jeans (the ones that make your bottom look particularly good) while having a good hair day and just knowing that you are really hot and having heads turn to follow you everywhere you go.

No comments: